If you have extra egg whites or like to use them exclusively in cooking, this is a great recipe. We make this recipe anytime we prepare sugar-free "pots de crème" as a dessert for guests.
If you like quiche, you'll like this paleo version. The only real difference is instead of a crust, we use shredded bacon.
Here's how you make the quiche:
- 18 egg whites
- 1/2 cup of whipping cream
- 1 package of frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 can sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 pieces sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Cayenne to taste ( only if you like the extra kick).
- ...and any other ingredient you fancy adding to your quiche.
- Turn on oven to 350F.
- If applicable, separate egg whites and yolks.
- In a large bowl, combine egg whites, cream and all the veggies.
- Stir well, making sure you have a homogenous mixture.
- Grease a large deep dish (should be at least 2 inches deep) - our preference is to use bacon fat or butter.
- Sprinkle shredded bacon to coat the bottom of the oven-safe dish. Careful not to make it too thick, it will make your quiche too salty.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bacon.
- Put in oven for 40 minutes. Once done, you can just turn the oven off and leave the quiche in it until you are ready to serve. It stays warm for a very long time.