We started making this recipe years ago and it's remained a favourite. The ingredients are easy to come by and the result is delicious.
If you like taco salad but you want to enjoy it "sans taco chips/shells", this recipe is for you. And there's really no secret...just enjoy all the ingredients and don't bother with the tacos...you can't taste them anyway!
Here's how to prepare the salad to make approximately 4 servings:
- 8-12 cups lettuce (mixed greens are a great choice)
- 1 avocado, chopped or a package of premixed guacamole
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup salsa
- Beef mixture
- 1/2 lb cooked ground beef
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 teaspoons cayenne (reduced/increase based on your preference)
- 2/3 cups water
- Other (optional)
- 4 dollops of sour cream (sour cream can be replaced by using 2 avocados)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Mix dry spices for the beef mixture
- Heat a skillet and add the pre-cooked ground beef (we use a Cuisinart to mince the ground beef before reheating it to smooth the beef's texture).
- Once the beef is warmed up, add the mixed spices and water. Stir until mixture is even and water has evaporated sufficiently.
- Take beef mixture off heat and set aside.
- Set out serving plates.
- Layer lettuce, then veggies and top with beef, avocado and dairy (optional)